The Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate is predominantly a gate designed to be installed at the top of your stairs, but it can be installed in your hallways and can be used as a room divider as well.
This baby gate comes from the company that pioneered metal safety gates in the US decades ago. It is an award-winning product made of superior quality raw virgin steel and reinforced resin. The paint used is certified non-toxic but which increases the life of the metal safety gate.
The Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate is above the bar in the juvenile products market. The metal safety gate is designed and engineered with the highest safety standards world over.
- The width of the gate is between 24.75” to 43.5”
- Made of top quality raw virgin steel
- The height of the gate is 30.5”
- The bar spacing is 2.625”
- Heavy duty steel construction
- You have different mounting options including wall mounting
- Designed for top of the stairway but can be used in hallways and room divider
- It can be operated by one hand by an adult
- There is a directional stop that prevents the gate from swinging over the stairs
- The side hinges can be screwed into an angled surface
- The quick-release hardware of the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate allows the gate to be easily removed when not needed
- The metal safety gate is sturdy and easy to install
- The Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate is manufactured with precision, robotic welding, and form fitting
- It not only meets but exceeds the US Standards of Child Safety
- Top-class raw materials are used in the construction of the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate: thicker, furniture-grade hardware, virgin steel, reinforced resins, certified non-toxic paint that contains no lead
- The hardware for hinges, plastic lock mechanism, and the plastic gate stopper is of subpar quality
- The appearance of the gate is not that great
In a range lower than the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate is the Evenflo Top of Stairs Easy Walk Thru Gate. It is an imported product made of metal with a detachable swing stop that prevents the gate from swinging over the stairs. There is red light/green light indicator showing if the gate is properly locked or not. It has a one-hand release handle that is easy for an adult to use but not the children.
In the similar price band as the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate there is Cardinal Gates’ Auto-Lock White Gate which is great for high-traffic areas like doorways, the bottom of the stairs, etc., although it is ideal for top of the stairs. The auto lock features a patented fastener that permits you to pass through quickly.
The gate automatically locks shut once you swing the gate in the lock’s direction. For enhanced safety, there is an optional stop bracket that prevents the gate from opening over the stairs. You can adjust the width of the gate between 26” to 40”. The height of the gate is 29.5” and the bar spacing is 2.5” with a 10.5” extension. The auto lock is made of aluminum. The metal gate is powder coated for a sleek finish.
Unlike the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate, the Evenflo Top of Stairs Easy Walk Thru Gate does not lock on its own. There are two steps to latch the gate, which requires a bit of weight and an effort to open and close, which makes using it with one hand a bit unrealistic. The plastic hardware is not durable and cracks easily.
When compared to the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate, the latch of the Cardinal Gates Auto-Lock, White does not work. The little pin in the back comes out rendering the latch useless. If installed outside, its hinges could rust.
On comparison with similar products and their pros and cons, the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate in White wins big! The sturdy construction and above-standard quality steeped in years of tradition in home safety, it is safe to say that the Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate is the correct choice when looking for a metal safety gate for your home.